October 2, 2011 – Eastside Christian Church – Michal Ferber
Birth of Christ
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” 22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying:
23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.” 24 Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, 25 and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name jesus.
- The Holy Spirit did the work.
- The birth of Jesus required obedience, initially and ongoing.
- God had a plan. And he laid it out as needed.
- Mary and Joseph had to not only be obedient, but also faithful.
- God sent his Son Jesus to earth with a purpose.
Flight into Egypt
13 Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, “Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him.” 14 When he arose, he took the young Child and His mother by night and departed for Egypt, 15 and was there until the death of Herod, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, “Out of Egypt I called My Son.”
- The devil can’t create anything; so he will try to kill, steal and destroy. (John 10:10)
- God’s purpose requires on going obedience and faithfulness.
Preaching to Cornelius’ Household
34 Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. 35 But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. 36 The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ— He is Lord of all— 37 that word you know, which was proclaimed throughout all Judea, and began from Galilee after the baptism which John preached: 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. 39 And we are witnesses of all things which He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem, whom they killed by hanging on a tree. 40 Him God raised up on the third day, and showed Him openly, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses chosen before by God, even to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead. 42 And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead.
43 To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”
- As Jesus fulfilled his purpose here on earth; He was an example.
- God anointed Jesus; if we are saved by the grace of God; we have that same anointing.
- God’s purpose for
Jesus on earth was fulfilled.
- You’re going to do the will of God whether you want to or not.
- God hand-picked witnesses.
- God’s purpose for Jesus isn’t over.
11 “You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.”
- God created all things.
1 The preparations of the heart belong to man, But the answer of the tongue is from the lord. 2 All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, But the lord weighs the spirits. 3 Commit your works to the lord, And your thoughts will be established. 4 The lord has made all for Himself, Yes, even the wicked for the day of doom. 5 Everyone proud in heart is an abomination to the lord; Though they join forces, none will go unpunished. 6 In mercy and truth Atonement is provided for iniquity; And by the fear of the lord one departs from evil. 7 When a man’s ways please the lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. 8 Better is a little with righteousness, Than vast revenues without justice. 9 A man’s heart plans his way, But the lord directs his steps.
- (1) Our motives belong to us.
- (2) The Lord judges the heart.
- (4) God has a purpose for our life.
- (5) God will judge everyone.
- Philippians 2:10-11 every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.
- (7) When we obey; God works everything out.
- (9) The Lord directs our steps; requires obedience and faithfulness.
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
14 Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
- We don’t have to work for our salvation. That’s not the kind of work Paul is talking about here.
- We have to be obedient and faithful.
- Mine out what God has placed in you.
- Start digging like it’s a gold mine
- Not by works; but by Grace
- Born by a virgin
- By His stripes we are healed
- Gift of Giving
- Gift of Prophecy
- Gift of Encouragement
- It is God that works in us; not us.
- This world is going to get worse; it’s prophetic.
- Make sure your heart is right.
42 And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead.
The Bema Seat (The Great White Throne Judgment)
Jesus is going to tell us.
I’m going to take everything you tried to do for me. Its wood, hay and stubble.
Then, I’m going to take everything that you let me do through you. Its gold, silver and precious stones.